Monday, September 3, 2012

Salvation Army Score

I love to troll thrift stores for a good deal.  I don't have a lot of options in my town, but you can still find some great stuff.  I found these chairs at the Salvation Army.  I think they were maybe $10 a piece and I thought they had a good shape.  I have never attempted upholstery before and these looked easy enough to redo.  They were really grody though.  
 
There was a quite a learning curve, but I just figured it out as I went along.  Here are a few tips:
  • Take tons of pictures as you take the chair apart
  • Make notes so you remember what the picture is of.  (oops I took quite a few that I had no idea what they were for at the end :) ) 
  • Save the old fabric and use it as a pattern to cut the new fabric
  • Using solid fabrics or small prints so you don't have to worry about lining up the pattern is good for beginners
  •  
 Here's an almost finished before and after

*Notice that there is no floor.  I never said I was patient, I got them and had to start immediately!  I tend to do things a little out of order and have about twenty projects all at once.
 
 
In an effort for full disclosure these took me almost two weeks and 552 trips to Lowe's to finish.  I learned a few lessons along the way and I love them.  I will definitely be attempting more upholstery projects in the future.

southern hospitality The Girl Creative

No comments:

Post a Comment