Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Bookshelves



These arched bookshelves have been all over the blogosphers.  Jenny over at Little Green Notebook is a crazy genius and came up with the idea.
 
Edie at Life in Grace did a fantastic job on hers as well.  I love all the bright colors!


I really wanted these bookshelves, but I have a shocking confession to make.  I have never stepped foot in an Ikea.  I have never lived remotely close to one and the shipping charges completely negate any savings. 

Since the Ikea shelves were out I decided to try it on a pair of book shelves that I have literally had since I was born.  I have never loved them, but I just can't get rid of them.  They were about three feet shorter than I wanted them and just looked kinda sad over in the corner.  Plus they had no base whatsoever.  No quiero. 

I added a base to mine first since they were so short and to give me space to add trim.  I built a platform and attached it to the base of the bookshelves.
 

 The platform added about 4 1/2 inches.  In hindsight, I would have used either an even 4 or 6 inches so one piece of trim would have covered the gap.  You can still see they are almost 2 ft. shorter than the ceiling even after the platform.

 
 
I used cardboard to get an idea of how big I wanted the arch. 
 

I cut out the arches with my skill saw and painted the whole thing.   Ta da!

It's not perfect and definitely no where near as dramatic as the wall of book shelves, but it is one thousand times better.  And since I used supplies we already had this project only cost me about $10 for the crown molding.



 
Now I just have to finish trimming out the base!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment